Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More Challenges! Yea!!!

Just a quick drop by to post my card I finished this morning. I'll be back with more details after the little man stops demanding to use the computer to "go to my dot com games". lol OK - I'm back (1:30ish) to add details about today's card. Sorry I couldn't do it earlier! Forgive me???

Today's card used Tuesday's Color Combo Challenge from SCS. Rose Red, Always Artichoke, and Black. I love that combo. How fun! But I used a layout from Mojo Monday's from January 5, 2009. I love this layout. Isn't it pretty? So, let me know what you think of my card.

Here's the front


And here's a close up of the cracked glass technique used on the flowers. I hope you can see the detail. It's one of my favorite techniques but I don't use it as often as I should!


And this time, I decided to decorate the inside also. I always add a piece of white or vanilla cardstock inside of a card if the base is dark. But after seeing so many beautiful samples of decorated insides (mostly over on SCS again) I decided to step it up a little. Sorry the pic isn't great.


Like I said, I'll be back soon to give more details. I'm a little slow on the computer, so this has taken me quite some time to upload, and now the little man is *Really* making demands. Too bad Handy Manny couldn't last a little longer.haha

Here are the deets: SU only. Stamps: Heartfelt Thanks, All Holidays (for you). Paper: Artichoke, Black, White, Rose Red. Inks: Rose Red pad and marker, Artichoke marker, Saffron pad, VersaMark. Other: Black grosgrain ribbon, Glassy Glaze Enamel Powder, Heat Tool, Sponges, Ticket Corner punch, Small and Large Oval punches, 1 1/4" circle punch, Vintage Brads, Pop Dots, Glue Dots. Umm I'm pretty sure that's it.

For a great tutorial on the Cracked Glass Technique go HERE. SCS has some awesome tutorials over there!!

And some tips from little ole me:
  • When using the BG technique, I like to use the versa mark pad inbetween each application of Glassy Glaze Powder. It's easier and it gives better coverage than trying to get the next layer of powder on while the paper is still warm.
  • You will need to use a good amount of adheasive when you stick down the image that has been cracked. Here I used my ATG (like a double sided tape gun) and put about 6 strips on the back of the flowers and then again on the back of the black mat. And the strips went from edge to edge. Use more than you normally would to make sure that your image and mats will stay flat.
  • Sometimes when you crack the glass, it takes bending the paper almost in half. Just go slow and you'll be fine.
  • For the brad placement here I used a pencil and a ruler to put little dots where I wanted the brads to go. That way, I could check the spacing before I punched the holes and not have to start all over with a new piece of paper after I punched the holes and found that they were lopsided. (Who me? Do that? Noooo.) Then I used the 1/16" punch to make the brad holes where my pencil marks were.
  • I sponged the sides of the flower image, the sentiment oval, and the white cardstock on the inside. This adds depth and is so easy to do. Just use a quarter of a SU Sponge to dab onto your inkpad, then swipe it over the edges of the cardstock. Start out gently at first until you get a feel for how much sponging you want. You can always add more, but you can't take it off, right??!
  • When you are wanting to stamp a sentiment onto a punched out shape, don't forget to stamp the word first and THEN punch it out. That way, it's a breeze to get the word centered. In fact this works for anytime you have an image inside a punched shape.
  • For a quick and easy background paper like the Rose Red paper you see here, just turn your ink pad upside down and gently drag it across the paper. I used the Rose Red pad on the paper, but this also works with different combinations, like a lighter cardstock with a darker pad in the same color family. I hold the cardstock in my left hand and the pad in my right hand (I'm right handed) and then just drag the pad across the paper a little at a time. Sometimes on the edge, to get the darker lines, and sometimes on the flat surface to get more of a shadow. Try this on a scrap of cardstock to see how it feels. Then go for it!!
And if you try these techniques, I'd love to see how you did! Thanks for stopping by and have a Stamptacular Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment